EDUCATIONAL STAGES FROM 4 months TO 18 YEARS OF AGE. INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE® (IB) PROGRAMMES
Nursery Education (from 4 months to 3 years old) is delivered 100% in English (from 1 year old) with native-speaking or bilingual teachers (native level). Preschool (from 3 to 6 years old) is delivered 100% in English with native-speaking or bilingual teachers (native level) and one module of Spanish per day.
SEK-El Castillo is a part of the IB® World Schools International Community. The International Baccalaureate® programmes are offered from 3 up to 18 years of age, integrated with the national curriculum.
Arrange a visit Make an enquiry
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) programmes correspond to the following educational stages:
Primary Years Programme with Preschool and Primary School; Middle Years Programme with Secondary Education and the Diploma Programme with Baccalaureate.
Baccalaureate pupils can choose to do the Baccalaureate Programme under Spanish education legislation (LOMCE), the LOMCE Baccalaureate Programme enhanced with subjects in English from the Diploma Programme or the IB® Diploma Programme in English.
From 4 months to 3 years of age.
- 100% in English (from 1 year) with native-speaking or bilingual teachers (with native-speaker level).
- Motor, sensory, social and emotional skills are strengthened.
- Teaching methodology inspired by the Reggio Emilia philosophy.
- Learning spaces inside and outside the classroom.
- Get to know the Nursery school
IMMERSION IN ENGLISH, SENSORY, EMOTIONAL AND CREATIVE EDUCATION.
SEK International School El Castillo creates a learning environment that offers areas of interest both inside and outside of the classroom, where the children feel safe to explore the world through the medium of play. Where art and technology are treated as media for learning.
Make an enquiry
PRESCHOOL STAGE 2:
Ages 3 to 6.
- Language immersion, full programme in English with native-speaking or bilingual teachers (at native-speaker level) with 1 Spanish period per day.
- Stimulation of inquiry and discovery.
- Learning spaces inside and outside the classroom.
- Implementation of Forest School strategies.
Ages 6 to 12.
- Bilingual level: 80% English and 20% Spanish (1 day in English – 1 day in Spanish).
- From years 3 to 4 Primary students are taught French and German simultaneously. As of year 5, students must choose between French or German (2 h / week).
- Incorporation of chess as a curricular subject as of year 1 Primary Education during the first term.
- Incorporation of “Alas para la mente” (computer programming 101) as a curricular subject as of year 1 Primary Education during the first term.
- “Heroes del patio “, a coexistence programme where the students (with help from the Counselling Department) are in charge of detecting and resolving small conflicts in the playground.
- Emotional intelligence, present in the day to day helping students to grow emotionally.
- In year 6 Primary, students complete the educational stage with an Exhibition: an inquiry project that takes place in groups according to their own interests.
In the IB Primary Years Programme the children are prepared for lifelong independent learning and we encourage students to be active, caring, respectful and participative.
Further information about the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP)
Make an enquiry
SECONDARY EDUCATION – MIDDLE YEARS PROGRAMME (MYP)
From 12 to 16 years of age.
- There are 3 academic pathways depending on the level of English of the students: in Spanish, English or bilingual.
- Creative development, critical and reflective thinking.
- In year 4 of Compulsory Secondary Education, students complete the stage with the Personal Project, an independent inquiry project, in addition to sitting MYP e-assessment.
We deliver the IB® Middle Years Programme (MYP), aimed at students between 12 and 16 years of age, which encourages students to develop as creative, critical and reflective thinkers, whilst at the same time being encouraged to be caring, open-minded, and able to act and resolve problems.
Focusses on a deeper study of academic disciplines and recognition of the inter-relationships between these in order to address and understand the significant and relevant themes at an individual, national and global level.
Further information about the International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Programme (MYP)
BACCALAUREATE – DIPLOMA PROGRAMME (DP)
From 16 to 18 years of age.
- Objective: to facilitate integration into the world of work and/or entry into higher education.
- The Diploma Programme is taught in English or Spanish .
- Option: the Diploma Programme in English or the Spanish (LOMCE) Baccalaureate with subjects from the Diploma Programme taught in English.
- Dual Diploma, an official international Baccalaureate qualification programme that allows students to obtain two simultaneous qualifications, the Spanish Bachillerato and / or the Diploma Programme and the American High School Diploma.
- For students taking the LOMCE Bachillerato, the school offers three syllabuses: Science, Humanities and Social Sciences and Arts.
Students may opt between:
- LOMCE Bachillerato. Enriched with subjects taught in English.
- Diploma Programme. Entirely in English or Spanish , it promotes critical thinking, solidarity, intercultural understanding and respect. International educators participate in the assessment of this programme. It adheres to the highest and most demanding academic standards that allows access to foreign and Spanish universities.
- University career’s guidance for Spain and abroad:
- Baccalaureate students receive international academic guidance. We work on their strengths and professional interests to discover what they want to do in the future through career’s guidance sessions. Following this, their options are studied at an international and national level and they are helped to prepare the application (collection of documentation, preparation for exams, and other requirements specific to the programmes to which they apply).
- Participation in fairs of foreign universities is also offered, such as the UK Universities Fair organised by the British Council.
Further information about International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP).
2019 IB DIPLOMA PROGRAMME SCHOOL STATISTICS
- Number of Diploma Candidates registered in the session: 42
- Number of candidates who passed the Diploma: 42
- Highest Diploma points awarded to a candidate: 45 out of 45
- Average points obtained by candidates who passed Diploma at SEK-El Castillo: 33 out of 45
- World Diploma Average Total Points: 29.63 out of 45